Sunday, December 4, 2011

Indian Motorcycle


Following up on my last product shot, I decided to shoot this miniature scale Indian motorcycle that measured about 10 inches long and 4 inches high and even though it wasn't chromed out, it was still highly reflective as far as light sources were concerned. For the key light, a snooted flash at 3 o'clock camera right was used to rake across the rider to show texture as seen on the rider's ribs and chest as well as the front headlights. As fill, a flash with a Lumiquest softbox was used just at immediate left of the camera. At 10 o'clock camera rear left, a flash with a snoot was used for rim lighting and additional texture as seen on the saddlebags and the rider's leg and right arm. Flash settings were at around 1/16th zoomed at 105mm. Camera settings were at about f6 @ 1/50 sec. I used f6 for a moderate focus but it looks like my 24-70 set at 70mm just won't cut it for this type of shoot. I remember focusing on the Indian logo on the gas tank thinking the focus would carry but the saddle bags, the rider's chest and face are out of focus. I'd have to shoot this again at around f11 to see if focus improves but that seems like a pretty tall order to me. Otherwise, it looks like I might have to save up for a 100mm macro.

See pullout shot for lighting setup below.



No comments:

Post a Comment